Saturday, March 26, 2011

The Beauty of a CSA

*B* and I subscribe to a strange type of CSA.  It's not the traditional pay-the-farmer-get-the-food type.  We actually have the food delivered to our house year round, every other Tuesday.  The company has a number of local, organic farms that they work with, and we get to choose what food we want for the shipment. 

Because of our CSA deliveries, I've tried and/or rediscovered:
  • Kale
  • Fresh Spinach (not in a salad)
  • Collard Greens
  • Swiss Chard
  • Broccoli Rabe
  • Beets
  • Turnips
  • Rutabegas
  • Butternut Squash
  • Acorn Squash
  • Brussel Sprouts
  • Kumquats
  • Radishes
I've also had a ton of foods that I have all the time:
  • Blueberries
  • Pears (of all types)
  • Oranges
  • Apples
  • Lettuce
  • Broccoli
  • Celery
  • Carrots
  • Snap Peas
  • Many, many more
Since I gave up going out to eat for Lent, and *B* gave up meat all together for Lent, we've been chowing down on the vegetables like it's our job.  I'm very hopeful that we'll continue this meatless tradition after Easter.  If you told me this is how I'd be eating a year ago, I'd say you were off your rocker.  But I feel much better having done it, and try to remind myself of that when I crave things that are both meat and not homemade.

No comments:

Post a Comment