Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Prepping Made Harder

When *B* and I were on our honeymoon, we read The Omnivore's Dilemma.  It is a fantastic book, but as of late it's been making my life difficult.  While I had a hard time giving up "conventionally" raised meat, *B* has really stuck with it.

Our meat comes from a local butcher shop, so it's probably not product of a concentrated animal feeding operation (CAFO).  I know for a fact that the beef we eat was raised in a lady's backyard - my mom works with her.  But our chicken and the little bit of bacon we get are of somewhat indeterminate origins.

When eating with *B* now, I feel really guilty about eating meat.  When we eat out at a restaurant, *B* always gets something vegetarian.  When at home, if I make something with chicken, I feel bad because I know he has reservations about eating it.  But the problem is that I have not found vegetarian meals that I like.  While he's happy eating lentil soup and vegetable curry, I'm not.  I haven't had pork loin in well over a year, and that used to be one of my go-to meals.  I just don't like sweet and sour chicken without the chicken (a meal we had last week).

Day to day, I deal with this fairly well.  I'm grumbly, but I manage.  I eat meat at school and when we go out.  In prepping, though, this issue is almost painful.  I see tons of interesting freezer meals on Pinterest and others' blogs, but they're usually based around a meat.  All of the vegetarian meals I see seem terrible to me.

The problem is that I'm very picky when it comes to vegetables.  I don't like onions and tomatoes unless they're cooked and diced fine.  I don't like olives, most beans, peppers, cucumbers, winter squash, arugala, beets, turnips, or rutabegas.  I also don't like any kind non-cow milk cheeses like chevre.  I'm not a huge fan of barley, quinoa, or couscous.  I would kill a bowl of fettucini alfredo with broccoli with no problem, but *B* isn't a huge fan of pasta.

What this boils down to is that my freezer is stocked with two types of food right now: food I'll eat and food he'll eat.  I can't find enough meals that will satisfy both of us so that we don't get sick of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment