Monday, January 10, 2011

Sustainability Goal Progress

This is day 10 of the new year, so it seems appropriate to evaluate our standing on our yearly goal so far.  *B* and I have been working hard to ensure that we eat more fruit and vegetables, as well as whole grains.  We've replaced our chain store skim milk with local, organic 2% milk, and our eggs come from the happiest hens I've ever seen.  Our fruit and vegetables are both fresh and organic.  Let me just take a moment to say:


I.  feel.  amazing!

I have a ton more energy now than I have in a while.  I feel healthy for the first time in a long time.  I'm not worrying about fat or calories or even sugar.  When one puts an emphasis on eating fruits and vegetables, the rest falls by the wayside.  Last night, we had local raw milk cheese with crackers, carrots, radishes, and homemade dip with sparkling apple cider to drink. 

It was so much tastier than what we'd eat on a normal night - some kind of dessert or soft pretzels or something.  A lot of times we'd have ice cream, despite the fact I'm lactose intolerant.  Though it makes me sick, I love ice cream.  With all the junk we were eating before, no wonder I feel better now!

Next up, our old, overripe bananas get a new lease on life in my homemade banana bread.  With any luck, I'll be able to make it on a snow day off from school!

No comments:

Post a Comment