Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Nourishing Traditions

At Momzoo's suggestion, I picked up a copy of the book Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon.
 

 I had read two of Michael Pollan's books (The Omnivore's Dilemma and In Defense of Food) and thoroughly enjoyed them.

When I first started reading, some of the assertions seemed a bit "out there" for me.  Everyone knows that saturated fat is bad for you, right?  And of course eggs have a lot of cholesterol and aren't great for you, why would I think otherwise?

But as I read on I found my notions of the past slipping away as Fallon started to make more and more sense.  Even though I'm on WW (again for the umpteenth time), I've started to incorporate key points from the book into my diet.  Wouldn't you know it, I've actually started to lose weight.  I've been eating butter, drinking whole, non-homogenized milk, and having whole yogurt as a treat.  The last one's quite a big deal because I hate yogurt.  But once I discovered Greek yogurt and raw honey, I was hooked.

In my state, it's illegal to buy raw milk.  I still haven't decided what I'm going to do about that.  It is technically legal to be part of a CSA, buy a portion of a cow, then get milk that is technically yours.  Either way, I've been making sure that our milk comes from pastured cows, and that it's not ultrapasteurized.

In March, *B* and I will be getting half of a cow.  I forget that living in a semi-rural county, there are still people who raise their own cows and sell them by themselves.  I was talking to my mom about sustainable food and meat in particular.  There is a place down the road that prides itself on grass fed meat.  For a cow, it was $3.50 a pound, and that was pre-slaughter weight.  My mom mentioned it to people she works with, and a woman said she raises cows at her house and sells them for $1.80 a pound.  This cow is most likely no different than the other - no hormones or antibiotics, grass-fed, in a relatively small herd.  So my mom will get half and we will get the other half.  The cow will be butchered less than a mile from our house by the family of someone who I grew up with.  How much more sustainable can we get?

We're looking forward to putting our garden in this year.  We were very optimistic as we've had 60 degree weather last week.  I woke up today with a two hour school delay - it snowed over an inch last night.  So it looks like the garden is put off for just a little while longer.  If I'm lucky, and I can keep the cats out, I can start some of the earliest seeds inside here shortly.

No comments:

Post a Comment