Sunday, June 12, 2011

Water Kefir Review

I've been researching a ton of water kefir recipes trying to make something we like.  I finally found a good one at Nourished Kitchen.  But there were still a bunch of variables that I couldn't nail down.  I made a batch I'm happy with, so I'm getting it written down for myself, as well as possibly helping you out. 

Ingredients
Water kefir grains
1/2 cup Demerara sugar
Water
Organic raisins
1/2 organic lemon
Ginger root, peeled and thinly sliced

Instructions
Boil 2 quarts of water and add the sugar.  Stir until dissolved.  When the mixture cools, pour it into a 2 quart mason jar.  Add the kefir grains, the lemon, a slice of ginger, and 3 tablespoons of raisins.  Cover with an airtight lid.  Let sit for three days (72 hours).  I know that it's getting close to ready when it's not too sweet and the raisins have started to float.

Use a plastic spoon to scoop the raisins and lemon off the top of the jar.  I put these in the compost - it's got to be good for them.  Then, strain the liquid through a mesh cloth into Grolsch-style bottles so that the cloth catches the grains.  Leave room in the top of the bottle to keep from exploding.  Let the bottles sit out for two days (48 hours).  This will give the kefir water carbonation.

Put the bottles in the fridge to chill and enjoy :o)


I have been reading about using an eggshell in the kefir to give the grains minerals to work with, but I have not yet tried it.  This will be my next project.  *B* has taught me through his beer brewing experiments that the best way to find out what you like is by writing down all the details of each brew and adjusting as necessary.  As I find new and interesting soda recipes and methods, I'll post them.

No comments:

Post a Comment