Thursday, December 29, 2011

Cloth Diapering - Not My Mother's Diapers

Ever since I was little, I knew I would cloth diaper my children. My brother and I were both cloth diapered before it was popular again.  My mom hand made them, and they were fastened by safety pins.
My brother's girlfriend gave me a gorgeous diaper bag for Christmas.  This gift got me thinking of diapering.

I had NO IDEA diapers had changed so much since I was little.  Now, there are pocket diapers, all-in-one diapers, all-in-two diapers, hybrids, wahm diapers, prefolds, and I'm sure more than that.  *B* and I bought a set of gdiapers just to play with and see how they work.




They have cloth or flushable inserts depending on your preferences.  They come in small, medium, and large.  It seemed pretty straightforward, and I was set.  But then I started reading more.

I found that there are other diapers (like BumGenius) who fit babies that are 7-40 lbs.  That seemed like it would do the trick, but I was hesitant now.  I asked other moms on a message board what I should get, and the answers were widely varied.  Most of them had a variety of diapers they like.  I want to be able to register for diapers.  How do they know what will work??

What diapers do you use and how did you know you'd like them?

2 comments:

  1. It is nice to see you are back! I did a couple posts about cloth diapering after I had my baby this summer, here they are:

    http://www.momzoolife.com/2011/08/23/cloth-diapering/

    http://www.momzoolife.com/2011/08/26/cloth-diapers-how-to/

    A couple other things I learned. I think the one size fits all diapers are WAY to big for a newborn, I bought newborn size diapers and used them for the first 4 months (I don't know if every baby could do that, my little one is a tiny thing) and now that she is bigger (14 lbs) the one size fits all work much better. I also found that I liked paper diapers for the first week, until the cord falls off (I had trouble keeping the cloth diapers off the cord, and as a result the cord had a hard time drying) and the baby had regular poops (not the meocium (sp) it stained the cloth diapers).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will definitely check those out. Thanks so much! I was wondering if I should do prefolds or biodegradable paper diapers for the first few weeks, so that makes my choice easier :o)

    ReplyDelete