Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Emergency Car Kits with Babies

I had a rather well stocked car kit in my car for a number of years.  My dad "found" some milk crates somewhere many years ago, and each of us had one in a car full of automotive fluids and the like.  Before Miss F, I stocked it with food, water, and winter supplies as well.

The car kit ended up in the basement when the stroller took up the entirety of my two door car's small hatchback trunk.  When I bought my new (to me) four door wagon, the kit never made it back in.  Even if I did put it back, we would totally be unprepared for the types of emergencies that accompany a baby.

These are the things that you'll find in our improved car kits:


Shelter
Towels - This one we got from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.  At first it was a bit of a joke, but we quickly realized how useful towels are!  The ones we have are extra wide and extra long.  They can be used as a blanket, as a pillow, for absorption, as a sun shade, as a wind break, rolled up to make the car seat level, as a seat cushion, and hundreds of other ways.  We keep three in each car.
Blankets

Clothing
Bathing suits - You never know when they come in handy.  They'll be replaced with snow clothes in the winter.
Onesie
Baby's pants
Baby's sleeper
Hats for all
Shirt for Mama - Miss F uses my shirts rather than dolls to lull herself to sleep.  And it never hurts to have an extra!
Bandanas - Like mini towels, they're infinitely useful.

Food
Trail mix (for adults and older kids)
Puffed kamut (for the baby)
Water bottles

Baby Supplies
Toy car
Diapers
Wipes
Grocery bag
Toilet paper

Automobile Supplies
Motor oil
Antifreeze
Mechanic's gloves
Jack
Tire iron

First Aid Supplies
First aid kit
Chux pad
Latex gloves
Mask

As Miss F gets older (and eventually as we have more children), this list will change.  Is there anything big missing?

No comments:

Post a Comment