Friday, July 19, 2013

Housework with FlyLady

The other day, I had casually glanced at a friend's frantic plea on Facebook.  Her house was out of control and she needed help.  Many women who responded to her said "FlyLady.  She changed my life!"

So I decided to check it out.  I popped over to FlyLady's website.  It's really overwhelming if you take it in at once, but I wandered over to the BabySteps section.  BabyStep One:  shine your sink.  So I did.  And wouldn't you know, it felt great.  Once my sink was shiny and clean, I started cleaning my stove top.  Then the counters.  Then the cabinets.  That one little shiny sink spurred a clean kitchen revolution.

BabyStep Two:  Get dressed all the way down to lace up shoes.  Again, I didn't think this would be a big deal.  But I was MUCH more productive after putting on those shoes than I was before.  Maybe it's because I couldn't feel the crumbs on my feet, or I didn't mind walking out onto a hot deck to do laundry.  Or that I felt like I was doing a job rather than hanging around my house.

There are many more BabySteps (31 in all) but those two have been the most influential for me so far.  As proof, this is what I did today:


  • Washed and dried bed sheets and bathroom floor mat
  • Put out recycling for pick up
  • Washed outdoor trash can
  • Washed indoor recycling can
  • Made breakfast
  • Scrubbed toilet
  • Scrubbed tub floor
  • Cleaned bedroom
  • Vacuumed bedroom
  • Washed and dried diapers
  • Sorted dirty laundry
  • Put stain remover on stained clothing
  • Put frozen onions into jars
  • Made and froze peach pie filling
  • Froze peach peels for future jam
  • Made the bed with clean sheets
  • Baked bread
  • Made black bean soup for lunch
  • Got a shower
  • Ate lunch
  • Did lunch dishes with Miss F
  • Colored with Miss F
  • Read with Miss F
  • Swept the kitchen floor
  • Picked up Miss F's mess
  • Put clothes away
  • Made dinner
  • Went to work for four hours
  • Scrubbed half-bath toilet
On top of that, I probably did five loads of dishes throughout the course of the day.  Compare this to my normal day: maybe a load of laundry, a couple of loads of dishes, and cooking/reheating three meals a day.  If I was lucky, I'd sweep the kitchen floor as well.

I don't know if it was thanks to FlyLady, but I'm very optimistic about all that I can do in the coming days, weeks, and beyond.

No comments:

Post a Comment