Sunday, September 21, 2014

Frugal Accomplishments - September 15th through 21st

-I saved gas by visiting my mom while in the area.  She gave us a home grown cantaloupe during our visit.

-We canned 15 quarts of applesauce from the apples we bought last week.  We kept the skins on to increase yield and nutrition.

-I made a sugar scrub from 1 part coconut oil and 2 parts sugar.  It's amazing.  It might actually get me to take another crack at the oil cleansing method.

-I made a gallon of water kefir and a gallon of ginger beer for an event we're hosting next week.
 
-I used onions to beef up some taco meat that I made when a friend and his daughter came over for dinner.

-Mr. B picked greens from the garden and made peach salsa from items on hand for burritos.

-I met a friend for coffee.  She just had her fourth child and I just had my second, so we spent some time reconnecting away from the kids.  It happened to be buy one get one free for fall flavored drinks, so the coffees were essentially half off.

-Mr. B made a greenhouse from some old sliding glass doors we had lying around.

-I saved seeds from our French Brocade marigold.

-We made 12.5 oz of mozzarella cheese from a gallon of milk and kept the whey for other applications.

-I froze 3/4 of a batch of chocolate chip cookie dough that we made in honor of the Letter C to be eaten another day.

-Mr. B picked up 2 bushels of #2 tomatoes for $40.  We canned 26 quarts and 5 pints of tomato sauce.

-Mr. B picked basil from the garden to make margarita pizzas.


-We went to the Rennaissance festival all day without buying any food or drinks.

-I was given a window that was being replaced by a neighbor for the lid of the coldframe.

-A friend brought me and Miss F lunch and spent time with the girls because she knew we were having a hard time adjusting.

-I baked a pumpkin that from a volunteer plant.  The puree became Sausage and Pumpkin Pasta, it was saved for doughnuts tomorrow, and I am toasting the seeds as snacks.

No comments:

Post a Comment