Wednesday, November 18, 2009

School Work and Self Reflection

In my Differentiated Instruction class tonight, we did this activity:
Imagine that you are in a room with four objects: a bouncy ball, a clipboard, a microscope, and a stuffed puppy dog. If someone asked you to go to an object that speaks to you, which one would you stand near?

  • If you chose the bouncy ball, you are active and unpredictable. You like to think outside the box.
  • If you chose the clipboard, you are organized and like to plan. You like to make lists and check them off.
  • If you chose the microscope, you like details and discovering new things. You work well on your own and want to know why things happen.
  • If you chose the puppy dog, you are loyal and friendly. You like to work in groups and keep the peace.

I've done this activity before and was told I'm a microscope. I think I might be more clipboard, but I don't like associating with other clipboards. We were told that clipboards and bouncy balls don't get along very well, and that microscopes are generally the teacher's pets. The whole point of the exercise is to identify what your learning style is and what the learning styles of your students are. Where do you fall in this activity?

I love these kind of activities where you learn things about yourself. I have a hard time sometimes because I fit a number of categories. When I took the multiple intelligences test, I fit four of the nine intelligences. While it's good that I'm well rounded, it's hard to make career choices in those situations! Wouldn't it be nice if they could just scan your head and tell you what career would make you most happy?

1 comment:

  1. I'm a microscope!

    It is so hard to decide what you want to do in life. If I were to go back to work, I really don't know what would make me happy. I don't think I want to go back to technical writing. It's something to think about. But for now, at least, I'm glad I don't have to worry about it.

    ReplyDelete