Thursday, October 21, 2010

Having a Rough Go of It

Today has been terrible, horrible, no good, and very bad.  All at the same time.  I keep hitting roadblocks with my job.  I want to be a good teacher.  I really do.  I'm just so frustrated.  Here's what I need to do my job:  kids who are respectful, who don't talk while others are talking, who do their assigned work, and who turn things in on time.  Is that too much to ask?

My honors kids do just fine.  We get along well, and we even have some fun.  With my regular kids, all I get are excuses and apathy.  From some, it's I didn't know we had homework, I never got a worksheet, we never learned this, you didn't tell us it was due.  From others, they sit with their head on the desk, not doing anything.  Then at the end of the quarter, I get emails from them and their parents asking for extra credit.  The parents are especially incredible.  They don't care that their child got a 30% on the last test, but if the child said that a homework was turned in and it wasn't graded, then they jump down my throat.


To make it worse, I'm in the midst of trying to get my certification.  I'm supposed to be observed twice this semester.  I have crazy kids, a wedding in seven weeks, and now I've got to be worried about passing observations!  I don't think that my supervisor likes me all that much either, so we'll see how it goes.

Now, in some respects I'm lucky.  I've never been cursed at or had my life endangered unlike local public school teachers.  But it's still not an easy job.  I daydream of the day I can stay home with children.  I have realized, though, that I'm the bigger earner, which will make it very difficult when we drop down to one income.  I can only hope that *B* has managed to move up a little by then.

3 comments:

  1. Oh dear, I'm so sorry things aren't the best at school. I have to admit that as a student even, I had very little patience with some of the students in my non-honors/AP classes.

    My dad was a HS principal and had to put up with some of the most outrageous stuff from parents. Most of them wouldn't believe anything bad of their little angels until they saw it on video!

    Good luck. I hope you can make it through the next few months. It'll all be over soon (but never soon enough!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry things are going roughly for you. I've found that even my roughest periods have turned around into better times. So it will with you.

    I don't know who you are. I've been stopping by while you plan your wedding, but planning a wedding can be a stressful time.

    I have found in my own life, that concentrating on the idea that others are acting the way they are because they are having a tough time too helps me to have compassion for them. Don't know if that might help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mrs. M - I'm one of those people who get annoyed when others talk at the same time as someone else. I was once at a conference for teachers and had to ask someone (politely) to be quieter because I couldn't concentrate. She told me to get used to it and kept on yakking! Now that grades are done, it's not so bad.

    LeAnn - I keep having wedding dreams just about every night. I am so looking forward to them being over! I never knew how stressful it could be.

    I do try to look on the other side of things. I know there are a lot of kids dealing with issues elsewhere. And I have compassion to a point. When I am endangering my health or sanity because of their problems, then I get frustrated and stressed over it.

    ReplyDelete