Friday, April 5, 2013

Homemade Deodorant

As described in my last post, we've decided to go natural.  *B* started the deodorant aspect of this project.  He bought some deodorant at our local organic co-op because he was worried about aluminum in his current deodorant. 
  
While it doesn't have a lot of the problem compounds we're worried about, check out how long this ingredient list is! Plus, it's rather expensive. 

I, personally, never had luck with the store-bought "natural" deodorants, but I knew that my current deodorant was not good.  So I looked up deodorant recipes.  Turns out, it's really easy to make, and very inexpensive to boot.  I used the recipe from Passionate Homemaking: 6 tablespoons of coconut oil, 1/4 cup of baking soda, and 1/4 cup of cornstarch.  I used the cornstarch because I haven't gotten arrowroot starch (yet), and because our cornstarch is organic and non-GMO certified.  I threw it into my immersion blender's processor for 5 seconds, and voila!

The amount in the tub is half of a batch because I put the other half into my old deodorant tube.  I dumped the rest of my old deodorant, and soaked the tube in hot water.  I wiped out as much of the old stuff as I could manage.  I dialed the stick all the way back down and packed in the new stuff.  Looks just like plain ol' deodorant!



It's been three days, and so far so good.  I don't have that wet feeling I used to get with store-bought natural deodorants. I worked out today, and noticed just a little odor.  Not like anyone would notice, but I smelled like I was working hard - which I was.  I reapplied when I got home, and I was just fine again.  I'm thinking that's something that will change as my body gets used to not being exposed to antiperspirants.

2 comments:

  1. I am excited to try this. I just bought my first coconut oil this week. Thanks for sharing your experience!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you're trying it! I have heard to give it three weeks to see if you like it. By then, either things even out for you, or you notice problems.

      Delete