Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Oil Cleansing Method

Another trend I've heard a lot about is the oil cleansing method.  It uses the theory that "like dissolves like" to clean your skin.  The original method involves 80% olive oil (or coconut, jojoba, etc) and 20% castor oil.  A lot of people don't use castor oil because it's very drying to your skin.  I only had olive oil* on hand, tried it, and liked the results well enough on its own.

 

I might try castor oil one day in the future, but for now I'm happy.  The steps:
  1. Rub the oil into your skin for about two minutes.  I like it - it's pretty much a great face massage.  
  2. Put a hot, damp washcloth on your face.  Leave it there until it cools to room temperature.  Again, it feels awesome.  
  3. When it cools, use the washcloth to wipe the remaining oil off your face.
  4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 if you like.
I don't smell like olives (I had *B* check), and my skin no longer has that stretched, papery feeling I used to get when I washed my face.  I don't need an exfoliator because the washcloth is just scratchy enough to remove dead skin cells.  And I don't need to moisturize.  The only thing I need is sunscreen, but I haven't quite figured out what I'm going to do this year in that respect.  I'm not 100% sold yet, but I'm going to give it a month to see how it goes.



*I heard on the radio that many extra virgin olive oils tend not to be extra virgin.  My brand is on the list of those who weren't always EVOO, but I will use it until it's gone.  If you want to see if your EVOO is real, check out this report.

No comments:

Post a Comment