Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Homemade Toothpaste

My dad, every now and again, talks about how bad fluoride is for our health.  I understand his concern, but since we're on city water, there's not much I could do about the water supply at the moment.  We could, however, change our toothpaste.

This recipe, I got from Thankfully Thrifty.  Just like the deodorant, it's super simple.  Two tablespoons of coconut oil, 3 tablespoons of baking soda, and I cut the salt down to a 1/2 teaspoon. 


 I just mixed the ingredients into a paste and that's it! 


The original recipe calls for flavoring, but all I have is vanilla and I'm not really into that as far as toothpaste goes. It definitely tastes like salty baking soda.  But it isn't really offputting.  It did a fine job of cleaning my teeth.  Perhaps even better than my old toothpaste.  Like the oil cleansing method, I'm going to give this a few weeks to see if I'll stick with it long term.

2 comments:

  1. My grandma used to brush her teeth with soda and salt. She would wet her toothbrush and dip it in. I'm not brave enough to try it though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I thought about it, my dad had his own tooth powder when I was a kid. It was almost sweet tasting, I kind of liked it.

    It's not terrible, just really salty. I did buy some peppermint oil yesterday to see if that will help it out at all. You could always just give it a try once to see what it's like. The recipe is so close to deodorant that you could take a swipe out of the deodorant container before you add cornstarch.

    ReplyDelete