Friday, May 24, 2013

Summer Treats

It was nearly 90 degrees here yesterday, so it seemed an appropriate time to make some summer treats.  I've been working on water kefir for over a month now, and I finally made a batch that was exactly what I was going for.  This is a slightly sweet, tangy lemonade with just a little bit of fizz.  Where I usually drink my kefir with trepidation, I devoured this one.

 

Since the water kefir went so well, I decided to try a ginger beer recipe from Rhonda at Down to Earth. This is day two, so we've got some time to see how it went.


 I also made vanilla ice cream, which I've been promising to *B* for a week now.  I used this recipe from The Prairie Homestead, but it didn't come out quite right.  It was gritty, buttery, and a little powdery.  I've been doing research, and I think I used waaay too much batter for my KitchenAid ice cream maker.  Next time, I'm going to cut the recipe in half and try it again.  This iteration of the ice cream made five pint jars worth!  I'm not quite sure how, considering the recipe says it only makes a quart, but we'll take them all the same.

What's your favorite homemade summer treat? 

No comments:

Post a Comment