Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Distress

When we got Hailey, about two months ago, we said it would be a trial run. We just never said whether or not the trial was over. It hurts to say it, but I don't think we can keep her.

On Friday, the seniors at my school released a hamster in the hallway as a senior prank. Someone took it around asking if anyone could take it home. Being the softy I am, I did. We put her in a bucket in our bedroom until we could get a cage from *B*'s mom. Hailey slipped through the bedroom door while I was in there, and before I could even think, her head was in the bucket. She had the hamster in her mouth! I screamed and pulled back her head trying to get her to let the hamster go. It seemed as if she killed her. Miraculously, the hamster flipped over after a few seconds and started running. This was the beginning of the end.

Hailey has been biting our cats for a while now. She chases them all times of day and night. They're very stressed out, and their hair is falling out. Hailey went to the old owners overnight while we were gone, and we got back, the cats seemed much, MUCH happier.

She won't listen to us. I've tried doing commands, screaming, asking, everything you can think of. I've even tried retraining her with treats. Nothing works.

It looks like the only option I have is to ask her original owners if they can have her back. The stress level in the house when she's here is astronomical. What would you do?

No comments:

Post a Comment