Friday, May 14, 2010

Leaving Home

It seems like *B* and I really haven't been able to leave home on the weekends in a long time. Sure, we go to the store or visit my parents, but we haven't made any trips. This weekend, someone up north is having a graduation party, so we're going and camping out in their yard. I'm excited! It should be fun. The place we're going, people live off the land. The hostess's house used to be an old hunting cabin that her mother transformed. They raise chickens and goats. The people we know there genuinely use it up, wear it out, make do, or do without.

On a slightly related note, I've been turning something over in my mind and beating myself up over it. When we go to the party, we will see family friends there. They do not do very well for themselves. For example, last time I went, their electricity was cut off (but in their state, I was told that means they only get 10% of available power) so they had to turn the fridge off to cook something on the stove. I asked their daughter, who does not live out here, what they like to eat so I could bring them up a box of food. Once I had sent it, I realized that she might be offended that I'm offering food to her parents. Was this rude or inappropriate?

No comments:

Post a Comment