Friday, August 14, 2009

Reading Lists

I just realized that I've read more books this summer than I've read in the last couple of years. I read:
  • You or Someone Like You by Chandler Burr
  • Serena by Ron Rash
  • The Shack by William Paul Young
  • White Oleander by Janet Fitch
  • Back When We Were Grownups by Anne Tyler
  • The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
  • Drowning Ruth by Christina Schwartz
  • Emergency: This Book Will Save Your Life by Neil Strauss
All of those books were very good, and recommendable, with the best being The Shack. The latest book I've read was an interesting peek into the world of survivalism, a close cousin of preparedness. The more I read, the more I realized how unprepared I really am. Yes, I have a lot more to put in my kit, but I am unprepared in my skills as well. I have a working knowledge of a handgun and a few rifles. I have a very basic knowledge of survival skills and first aid. Other than that, I'm fairly useless in a "survivalist" situation. I suppose math is important, but there are far more skills that are useful. Unfortunately, I've waited too long to decide what to do this summer, and now it's over. Two more days and I go back to school.

No comments:

Post a Comment