Wednesday, August 25, 2010

First Days Back

Is it already Wednesday?  I forgot how quickly the days fly by here at school.  That's actually one of the reasons I became a teacher - I hate the dreaded 10am hour, and if it is at all possible for it to pass without me knowing it, I am in the clear.  When I was a researcher/grad student.  The trek from 9:59 am to 11:00 am took four hours.  I'd swear it did, at least.

This year has started out much more pleasantly than years past.  My first year, I was nervous and didn't know what to expect.  My second year, I was scared because I did know what to expect.  This third year, I ran as efficiently and quickly as possible through new school year business and got straight to content.  I know my content.  That part is easy.  So I just didn't bother spending (too much) time on things that did not, in the end, help the students.

They were, though, a bit surprised when they had to take notes and do worksheets on the first day.  I imagine they'll be surprised when they find out we're doing a lab today on the second day.  And I have a quiz for them on the third class.

I'm actually starting to like this teaching thing.  While I was skeptical at first, I think this might be it for me.  I've never had a job longer than this.  That's not to say I wasn't welcome at other places - I always left on good terms.  So maybe, just maybe, I've found my calling.

No comments:

Post a Comment