Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Garden Goings-on

I hadn't had enough time to spend in my garden over the past few weeks, so I decided to use my free morning today working in the garden and getting errands done.  I didn't get pictures of it, but I had mushrooms growing in my garden.  I ripped them out right away.  I can't believe I've been so neglectful!  She doesn't look too bad though:

 The garden (plus a hose) is doing well.

Our mess of a tomato patch

Just one of about 7 gorgeous green bell peppers

Our lovely parsnips - I'm so excited to try these!

Our carrots have gone crazy

The lima beans are slowly coming back from an infestation of some form

The marigolds are absolutely thriving and flourishing

More yummy tomatoes - beefsteak

Even more tomatoes - Romas

This one we're not going to talk about.  We're just going to giggle and squeal and hope the bugs don't get to it.

The nasturtiums survived their move and are beginning to flower again

Coneflowers, aka Echinacea, are sprouting up everywhere

Our lone surviving sunflower is growing smack-dab in the middle of our lawn

Now that I've been able to fill the feeder more often, the birds are back

A butterfly enjoying our flowers

Our gorgeous hibiscus bushes - I love them so!
Our newest addition - we've looked for pineapple mint for MONTHS since our old plants didn't survive our move.  This big boy was on sale for $2!

Our second tomato harvest!

Check out An Oregon Cottage for others' garden posts :o)

7 comments:

  1. Your garden looks tremendous! Don't the tomato plants get big? Your hibiscus is lovely as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your tomatoes look great! Our plants are doing really well, but I haven't seen many tomatoes. Ugh! Thanks for sharing yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your garden is really looking nice. I especially like the looks of that bell pepper! and that is a tomato harvest to be proud of!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your sunflower. It's cute! So what are you going to do with your tomatoes????

    ReplyDelete
  5. aw, don't feel badly about the neglect. it's interesting to see what happens when nature is left to its own devices!

    your tomatoes are wonderful! what is pineapple mint? i've never heard of it...

    ~ana

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your garden looks like it's doing well! Great tomato harvest!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you! I'm making tomato sauce and/or paste as they come in. It's my first time, so I'm a little hesitant.

    Ana - pineapple mint is closely related to apple mint. I believe it's just a fuzzy, variegated form of it. It doesn't actually taste like pineapple, and I can't really describe its taste. I like it so much because it's one of the plants I remember fondly in my mother's garden.

    ReplyDelete