Tuesday, July 6, 2010

This Will Not Be Pretty

Last Friday, I started a second job. In the mornings, I've worked at a camp for K-2 kids for the past three weeks. I'm in charge of arts and crafts. We've done God's Eyes, paper plate shakers, finger painting, and coloring activities. Overall, it's not so bad, but the kids tire me out pretty easily. I'm there from 7:30 am to 12:30 pm.

In the evenings now, I also work semi-one-on-one with a large variety of math students. I'm there from 3:30 pm to 7:30 pm. So far, I've tutored 2nd through 10th graders. It's very weird, though, because I can't figure out when I'm supposed to plan and grade. I stayed a little late to grade Saturday, and the manager told me to go home. They open five minutes before I start work, so that doesn't help either. Somehow, while tutoring 3-4 kids at a time, I'm supposed to grade papers that have been submitted and prep papers for the next time I'll see them. There's no real schedule of who's coming in, either. It is one big mess. But I think I'm almost starting to get the hang of it.

This weird schedule of mine means that I can't really get up to my garden anymore. The only time I can get up there is between 1:15 and 2:45 in the afternoon. I would have died if I went out there at that time today. For those of you who have not heard the news in the mid-Atlantic, it was actually 105 degrees F (41 degrees C). It is HOT!!! And given that I am one crispy critter at the moment due to my insistence that sunscreen wasn't necessary on the fourth of July, I wasn't venturing out. Tomorrow morning, I'll have to get up extra early to water the plants.

No comments:

Post a Comment