Thursday, February 18, 2010

Ash Wednesday

Yesterday was Ash Wednesday. While I'm not the strictest Catholic, I do try to observe some things. I usually give up something for Lent and follow the no-meat-on-Fridays rule. It doesn't hurt that my school refuses to serve meat on Fridays during Lent anyway. Although, I did get pangs when a guy in my grad class had fried chicken last night.

I meant to make mass this year. I didn't want to go to the before school mass because I had planning to do. So I was going to go to the after school mass. Well, I forgot I had to tutor after school. Long story short, Ash Wednesday came and went without me going to mass. Is this what they mean by "the road to Hell is paved with good intentions"? :o)

Last year for Lent, I gave up "good coffee." This meant any kind of espresso, really. It was the hardest denial I've ever gone through. I craved it and wanted it, but didn't give in. Wouldn't you know, when I was done, I didn't really want it anymore.

This year, I chose something that I think will be equally difficult - pizza. While I don't usually eat school pizza, it is our go-to when no one has the energy or time to cook. I'm not sure what our new go-to will be, but hopefully something healthful.

I've been following a new diet for a grand total of three days now. Today is day four. I'm following the rules I remember from WeightWatchers. I had to choose between paying for the gym or paying for WW, and I chose exercise. I was on the program so long, though, that I remember just about everything. Aside from Mardi Gras, which I did count in its entirety, I've been really good about eating a) less, and b) more healthfully. The no-meat days don't hurt my efforts either. The last time I was (really) on the plan, I lost about 40 lbs in 3ish months. While I'm not stressing over how long it takes, I know that it is possible to lose a significant amount of weight with this program. All I know is that I need to work hard to be able to fit a wedding dress in June.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck on giving up pizza...I don't think I could do it...that is one food that I could eat everyday, for every meal! LOL!

    ReplyDelete