Sunday, February 28, 2010

An Exciting Day

It is only 10:30 AM and it's been a very exciting day.

This morning, I decided to try to shovel off the deck. The top three inches or so is ice, so it took me a good 20 minutes to get a path one shovel wide out to the yard. *B* bravely trekked through the snow and ice to drop off our compost and to get me some planting soil from the shed. When I opened the back door to let him in, both our cats slipped out. I managed to get Wicket back in, but Evie ran along the edge of the house. Before we could get her, she slipped through a little hole in the deck. I was so panicked!

*B* shoveled faster than I've ever seen anyone shovel before. In about 10 minutes, he got a 6x10 square foot patch shoveled out. We managed to pry up the cellar cover, and *B* coaxed Evie out from under the deck. I was soooo scared she was lost and gone forever. We haven't gotten a chance to microchip her, so if she made it under the fence, we'd never get her back. But I had her safe inside, gave her a bath (she was a muddy little girl) and held her tight in a bath towel until she clawed me to get away. Ah, kitten love.

After the initial excitement died down, I decided to start my herbs for the spring. I have cilantro, parsley, and lavender. I used an egg carton to start the seeds, and will transplant them when they get a little bigger.

The final excitement of the day (so far) was my decision to bite the bullet and order my gamma buckets! They will be here in 1-4 days. I have been waiting for this day for so long. I'm just jumpy about ordering things online. I can't wait to re-situate my pantry!!! Between the major earthquakes, tsunami warnings, the THREE blizzards we've gotten this winter, the birds acting funny, and some normal paranoia, I am definitely revved back up for getting my pantry stocked.

No comments:

Post a Comment