Friday, April 9, 2010

My Mom's Cheese Bread

My mom's cheese bread is amazing. No matter how hungry or how full one is, it always evokes hunger pangs. I have not quite mastered her recipe, though it is very simple. The missing ingredient is patience. I always seem to be a little short on that one. For your benefit: how to make my mom's cheese bread.

Step 1: Make/buy white bread dough. I googled "white bread recipe" to make mine, but my mom buys frozen dough.


Step 2: While the dough is thawing/rising, cut 3/4 to 1 lb of colby cheese into 1/2 to 1 inch cubes.

Step 3: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray grease a pan.


Step 4: Pull off a lump of dough about twice the size of the cheese lump.


Step 5: Press the cheese into the dough.


Step 6: Wrap the dough around the cheese like an envelope.



Once you get the hang of it, it goes by really fast.


Step 6: Layer the dough covered cheese pieces in the pan. Here is my mistake: do not put too many pieces in one pan. I always lump everything in there that I can and the middle never finishes right.




We had extra cheese when all the dough was done. Someone thought it was fair game :o)


Step 7: Bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes or until the top is medium to dark brown. Fair warning: put a cookie sheet underneath. We're still sucking smoke here from when some cheese dropped off onto the element. You have been warned. When done, it should look roughly like:

*drool*While this is amazing hot, I love it even better at room temperature the next morning. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment