Monday, April 26, 2010

Pure Heaven!

I am a genius. *B* and I had some granola from the organic market a few months ago and really liked it. Rather than buying it at $5 for a 1 lb bag, I decided to take the bag to the bulk foods section and pick up all the ingredients. It may have been the best decision I've ever made. This is my recipe for shear bliss adapted from Michele's Granola Pumpkin Spice.

I gathered an unknown amount of these things in the bulk section:
  • Rolled oats
  • Flax seeds
  • Pecans
  • Raw almonds
  • Sunflower seeds
  • Pumpkin seeds
In a roasting pan, I combined twoish cups of rolled oats with a handful of flaxseed, and a handful each of pecans, raw almonds, pumpkin seeds, and sunflower seeds roughly chopped. After mixing them up, pop them into an oven preheated to 350 degrees. Stir every two minutes to keep it from burning six times (12 minutes total).


While that's baking, line a baking dish with wax paper. Spray all of the wax paper with cooking spray. Set it aside.

On the stove, combine two cups of brown sugar with 4 tablespoons of butter, 2 teaspoons of vanilla, 1 teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice, and a squirt of blue agave nectar (honey would work too).


Stir constantly while heating over medium heat until it becomes melty and bubbly.



Without burning yourself (important), dump the toasted bits into a bowl. Dump the sugar-glue on top. Mix REALLY well.

Before mixing
After mixing

Then, dump it into the lined baking dish. Fold the wax paper over it. Use the bottom of a bowl, cup, or measuring cup to tightly pack the granola. Don't use your hands. They will blister (trust me, I know).


If you have willpower, let it sit on the counter for two hours or so until it cools. If you're me, wait until the pan gets mostly cool and throw it into the fridge to harden. Regardless, when it is cool to the touch, either break it or use a knife to cut it into bars. Then, use a towel to wipe up the drool.


It is amazing. No joke. Thank me later.

1 comment: