Saturday, April 3, 2010

Our DC Trip, Realized

Though I wasn't too sure we were going to make it, *B* and I went down to DC yesterday. We managed to struggle out of bed early enough to get there around 10 am. We decided to see all the things that we just never quite got around to when we were younger. And as luck would have it, this week is the National Cherry Blossom Festival. It was absolutely gorgeous. And lucky for you, I took my camera along :o)

View of Jefferson Memorial from across the Tidal Basin

*B* and me at the Tidal Basin

Gorgeous view of the Washington Monument

It seems we've gotten a lot of rain lately - these trees should not be on an island!

And this bench should not be IN the basin. How did that little girl get there?!

I have discovered my favorite memorial. We didn't plan to stop, but we had to walk through on our way from the Jefferson Memorial to the Lincoln Memorial. That is when I discovered the beauty of the FDR Memorial. I HIGHLY recommend it to everyone. I was really touched.

The entrance to the memorial

*B* by one of the many gorgeous water installations. I so wish we could have gone in just a bit.

*B* against the memorial that quotes: "More than an end to war, we want and end to the beginning of all wars."

"We must scrupulously guard the civil rights and civil liberties of all citizens, whatever their background. We must remember that any oppression, any injustice, any hatred is a wedge designed to attack our civilization."

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much, it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little."


Just one of the amazing waterfalls at the memorial.

Hello Mr. Lincoln

An interesting view of both the Washington Monument and the Capitol from the steps of the Lincoln Monument.

A picture from the American History Museum - me with a canning poster. *B* said I just had to post it for you all, and as usual, he was right!

We didn't get to see all of what we wanted, but we walked for a good five to six hours yesterday. Boy, were our dogs barking! We ended up seeing the cherry blossoms, the Jefferson Monument, the FDR Memorial, the Korean Memorial, the Vietnam Memorial and finding my mom's cousin's name, the Lincoln Monument, the reflecting pool, the outside of the Washington Monument, and the American History Museum.

We stopped at a great place for lunch - I highly recommend it. It's called Capitol City Brewing Company, and we found it at H Street and 11th, though it's listed as being on New York Avenue. They give complimentary soft pretzels, and their burger and fries were the best ever! (By the way, I realized later that it was Friday and I wasn't allowed to have meat. Mea culpa. But it was GOOD.)

We decided that we have to come back sometime this spring/summer to finish off DC. We want to see the National Archives, the Capitol, the inside of the Washington Monument, and a few other, more obscure museums. For the cost of a metro ride (~$3 each) and lunch (more than $3 each), we had an amazing, jam-packed day of fun together.

No comments:

Post a Comment