Monday, April 12, 2010

Spring Break Reading

Today was my first day back to work in more than a week. It was a lovely break, full of family, gardening, and READING! I read four books on my days off. It turned out almost all of the books were on Oprah's Book Club list. I never wanted to read them because I thought it was cliched, but I realized that she's just tagged all the good books. I've made peace with that.

Moral Disorder by Margaret Atwood
This is a weird book. There is a common thread throughout the stories, but it took a little while to figure out the plot line. Overall, I loved it. It made me want to be a homesteader even more.

Fall on Your Knees by Ann-Marie MacDonald
This book covers some rough topics - most of them death related or sexually oriented. It covers the development of a family throughout a few generations. It's definitely a 17 and over book. It really reminded me of The Hour I First Believed by Wally Lamb.

While I Was Gone by Sue Miller
This was a great book exploring the interaction of our pasts with our present lives. The relationship between the main character and her husband is amazing. It made me consider my relationship with *B* in a new way.

The Road by Cormac McCarthy
This book has been in the news recently as it was just made into a movie. It was a super fast read - maybe 3 hours total. I can't imagine this as a movie. It chronicles the story of a man and his son in a post-apocalyptic world. This is definitely NOT for children. It even turned my stomach.

An FYI - I have been picking my books by using the website What Should I Read Next. Once you get books you like entered, it makes choosing new books super simple. I love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment