Wednesday, March 3, 2010

The Game Game

I have a hard time eating "unconventional" meats. My soon-to-be father-in-law is an avid hunter and often snags a few deer a year. *B*, being raised with this kind of food, has no problem eating deer meat. I, however, just can't do it. I was relatively okay with it the first few times I had it. One time, *B*'s mom made deer shoulder in the crock pot. You could see the joint and figure out how it originally fit into the animal. I lost it. *B* has tried to make deerburger helper (which I figured out and picked out the meat) to help me ease into it. Another time, he made deer just for him, but the smell of it made me sick when I got home later that night. Does anyone have any ideas or tips on how to get over the cultural/irrational fear of non-traditional meats? I'd love to be able to eat deer, rabbit, goat, or even just lamb (I'll eat it, but it's hard to stomach unless in Indian food).

1 comment:

  1. I have a hard time with deer meat too...let me know if you find a good way to cook it.

    ReplyDelete