Sunday, March 21, 2010

I'm Soooo Sore!

This has been a great weekend. I think I've gotten everything I ever wanted. Man, am I going to pay for it tomorrow :o)

Friday night, we got Hailey. She's been great. While the cats still hate her, they can be in the same room if they have the high ground.

Yesterday, we had a small barbecue. We cleaned all morning, and I even weeded out a flower bed and planted strawberries. Then, we entertained until about 11:30 at night. We had a good time, with a fire and all.

Today, we worked almost entirely on our new garden. My tomatoes are JUST starting to sprout.

The salads are just about to pop through too. If you look really hard, you can see the little sprouts poking out their heads.
Those little sprouts from a few weeks ago have exploded into all of these containers. The purple racks were flower bulb shelves *B* got free from work because they were going to throw them out. They're so useful!The bigger containers house our new lettuce plants.Our lovely $10 blackberry bush. It should get to be 4' by 5' and produce this year. We'll see if that happens.*B* is digging our asparagus beds. Yummm, asparagus. When I was a kid, even after my mom stopped tending her garden, we had asparagus. She'd send us out to pull stalks out of the yard. Ah, memories.So far in our garden we've planted lettuce and peas. Notice the grid lines - they're made out of paracord. Just in case :o)Our full garden. It ended up being 7 by 2 squares. While they're a little more than a foot a piece, it makes life easier. When we get more soil, we'll finish filling in the holes and plant our flowers and herbs around the perimeter.
The only things I didn't get pictures of are our potatoes and our new peach tree. As far as the potatoes go, we just cut up some potatoes that had sprouted and planted them in plastic containers out by the garden.

When we went to the grocery store to pick up a few last minute things, I pined for the peach trees sitting outside the store that were only $13!!! I finally convinced *B* to let me have one! It is an Elberta dwarf peach tree. They're self-fertile, and produce freestone peaches. I've very hopeful, yet cautious. I'd love to report back with good news!

No comments:

Post a Comment